Mindfulness in the Messy Middle: Holding Space to Explore the Place Between Grief and Joy
[Online Live, Real Time Retreat/Workshop]
Where are you in your journey? What season do you find yourself in?
- Are you feeling exhausted, stuck, or anxious?
- Are you hard on yourself because you feel you “should” have done more by now?
- Are you struggling with disappointment, loss, or trauma from the past season?
No matter where you find yourself, in a valley or on a mountain top:
You are not alone.
You are experiencing and walking through a lot — you are worth it to pause and honour all of it.
If you want to make space to cultivate the good seeds and the sh-tty fertilizer from this season, but:
- You don’t know where to begin…
- You don’t know how to do it without toxic positivity bypassing…
- You don’t know where you can process and share safely, with all the struggle and joys simultaneously.
Gather with us for this highly interactive, guided creative journey to compassionately explore the joys and griefs of your journey.
We are making room to be present in the messy middle, to create meaningful connections — to ground yourself, and connect with others in solidarity.
Focusing on creative exploration (and less on precise technical how-to’s), this workshop experience will empower you with expressive lettering as a tool for self-care and self-discovery.
Come with an open heart, ready to be present and to engage with curiosity.
I have some questions...
If you're feel drawn or curious to join us, but a little unsure about showing up and participating in an event like this, it's normal to feel a little nervous. Or maybe you have a more practical question. We're here to help you come with you whole self, as you are.
Which class do I start with? Is this the right one for me? Will this teach me "how to" write calligraphy?
EXPRESSIVE LETTERING WORKSHOPS are more about creative exploration and using lettering as a tool for mindfulness, such as a supplement for your journaling practices, gratitude, vision boards, etc.
In these spaces, we do not spend any time on the technical aspects of how to write calligraphy.
If you would like to learn the TECHNIQUE of calligraphy, you can find out about our technical how-to workshops here>>.
What can I expect from these creative workshops and conversation circles?
You can expect a guided journey, connecting through:
- creative reflection/expressive exercises
- mindfulness/visualization exercises
- facilitated journalling
- curated conversation prompts
There will be ample time to reflect on your own, but also to connect with and glean from the group's collective experience and wisdom. You will have opportunity to share with others, but it isn't mandatory if you're in more of a contemplative listening mood.
Do I have to share verbally? Will I be called on to speak?
There will be multiple ways that you will be invited to choose how you can engage your participation. This means you share at a level that you decide, when you feel ready or feel compelled to speak, with or without the camera on.
We do not support “peer pressure vulnerability”. Sharing is always optional and you reserve the right and have full permission to pass.
Come as you are, your full self. And if that means you're in a more contemplative listening mood, that is totally okay.
If something comes up for you that you prefer not to share with the whole group or in your small group, but you would still like to have a 1:1 conversation about it, you can always reach out for a conversation in a private chat, or at the end of the session where there will be extra space to connect.
Do I have to have the camera on?
That being said, we invite you to consider keeping your camera on if you are feeling up for it, as studies have been shown that can have an effect on the sense of engagement, connection, and community in the virtual space, both on your end and on ours as we facilitate.
If it's because you have pets, partners, or kids running around, know that we don't view them as unwelcome distractions. Just keep your microphone on mute.
What if I don't identify as artistic or creative?
For Creative Expression Workshops, we will engage in creative reflective practices equipping you with tools you can walk away with for self awareness, self discovery, and empowerment.
These include options such as writing, drawing, speaking, meditating, visualizing... Multiple options and levels will always be provided, and you get to decide what is the most supportive way for you to engage.
No prior experience is necessary by any means.
We believe every human being is creative. So our teaching approach is grounded in giving you on a strong foundation cultivating the mindset needed to fully and freely engage in the creative process holistically, from knowledge and skill, to mind and heart.
- This means, you'll be focusing on your experiences and meditating on the meaning, themes, and connections.
- It's more about the journey of creativity and not about the end output.
- This means perfectionism is not allowed here, and we will create a safe space for practicing and processing and getting messy.
Does the cost of your workshops include supplies?
For in person workshops, all supplies are provided.
Who is facilitating this session? What are your credentials?
With 20 years of experience in leadership and spiritual development, adult education, and communications, Justine crafts talks and facilitates workshop experiences that are supportive, engaging, and encouraging.
Her passion and skill is to create transformative experiences that empower people with practical tools.
She takes her role of creating safe and welcome space for all seriously, rooted in her experiences of exclusion growing up, making her an advocate of creating belonging.
We also collaborate with GUEST FACILITATORS who are experts in their respective fields. You can read their bios on the event registration page.
What's your Refund Policy?
For online workshops, refunds are available up to 14 days before the session date. You may also choose to defer the value of your ticket to a future date (you will receive a unique credit that you can use for anything in the online shop). Or, you may transfer your ticket to a friend. Email your request and reason for refund to justine @ itjustflows.com or you may use the contact form on this site.
For in person workshops, refunds are not available due to the nature of venue rentals and limited seats, however you may defer your ticket to a future workshop, (you will receive a unique credit that you can use for anything in the online shop). Or, you may transfer your ticket to a friend. Email your transfer request to justine @ itjustflows.com or you may use the contact form on this site.
For ALL workshops, if the workshop is cancelled by It Just Flows for any reason, including not reaching the minimum number of participants required to run it, you will have a choice of deferring your ticket to a future workshop, or receiving a full refund.
Will there be a replay available?
- Reflective and Expressive Lettering workshops will not be recorded in order to provide full safety and confidentiality for participants to share freely in the live experience. The main magic of these sessions is the connections that form with live interaction in community. So we encourage you to sign up, block off the time, make a date with yourself, and add it to your calendar.
- We may or may not decide to record for our own internal reflective purposes of capturing the teaching segments. We will always check in with the group at the beginning. Either way, there will not be a replay available. None of the participant dialogue will ever be shared in any way publicly or privately. We take confidentiality very seriously.
I really want to come but can't make the date. How often do you run your workshops?
Do you teach in person classes or online only? Where are you geographically located?
We currently do not offer on-demand pre-recorded videos. Let us know if you are interested in this option, and we will consider it if there is enough demand.
We are based in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada, where we teach in person workshops but have been known to travel to do workshops in other cities. Obviously this is currently on pause until further notice due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Do you teach private workshops or lessons?
Yes, we love working with existing communities (staff team, bridal parties, group of friends for a holiday party, etc.) to create a workshop experience tailored to your group. Find out more on the private art party page here. >>
Mindfulness in the Messy Middle
[Live, Real Time, Online Class]
Expressive Lettering workshop
How to save your seat:
- Choose a date.
- Note that a supply list will be provided for your preparation (you will be emailed a materials list + PDF of the workbook). In person workshops include all supplies.
- If you would like to reset the options, REFRESH the page, or hit CLEAR on the bottom right, just after the Options, before the “Add to Cart” button.
- Add the number of tickets you wish to purchase to your cart.
- Proceed to checkout.