Beginner Calligraphy Overview Sampler Workshop
• Real Time Class
• Online and In Person Options Available
Learn more about and get an overview of the many different kinds of calligraphy and lettering to explore.
Try different writing instruments for yourself to get a taste of which you may want to explore in a more in depth workshop. Think of this as a 100 level college class that gives you a broad overview, compared to upper level courses that dive deep into one writing instrument or specific lettering style.
This is your invitation for a little creative date for relaxed fun, inspiration, and connection. Consider it treating yourself to a mini-retreat!
In a hyper-digitized world, calligraphy and handlettering bring back a touch of personal and relaxation/reflection into your life and relationships. Create memories or meaningful gifts for the people and world around you.
Creative Self Care
I have some questions…
Are you excited, but not sure where to begin? Or maybe you have a strong inner critic that’s telling you this is only for creative people. We’ve gotchu!
Which class do I start with? Is this the right one for me?
EXPRESSIVE LETTERING WORKSHOPS are more about creative exploration and using lettering as a tool for mindfulness, such as a supplement for your journaling practices, gratitude, vision boards, etc. In these spaces, we do not spend any time on the technical aspects of how to write calligraphy.
TECHNICAL FOUNDATIONS WORKSHOPS provide you with styles and visual principles that can be used in your practice of creative expression.
If you’re not sure of which style or tool you want to learn and would like a broad overview, start with the Appetizer Sampler Class, like a 100 level where you get to try all the main tools and see which you like best before you invest more time and money into classes or supplies. There are usually some surprises of what people end up liking 🙂 Note that for this one it is a broad overview and we won’t be going into the details of any one specific lettering style, as we focus more on getting to know the instruments.
If you prefer a deeper dive into a specific instrument or style, we have a few 200 level type classes (still 100% suitable for beginners, but it’s 200 level in that it has a sharper focus and is less of a broad overview).
The most popular class here is the Brush Calligraphy Basics class, featuring a deep dive into the script lettering style that is currently very popular. This class will go through every letter of the lowercase alphabet in a script lettering style, with no time spent on design principles.
If you want to be able to create your own quotes and gifts using design principles, the class for you is the Design & Layout for Lettering Class. This is our most intermediate class, where many students prefer to have some lettering experience under their belt. But it’s still taught in an accessible way for beginners if you’re set on learning the design element.
Do I have to be artistic? What if I don't identify as creative? I have no experience with calligraphy.
No prior experience is necessary by any means.
We believe every human being is creative. So our teaching approach is grounded in giving you on a strong foundation cultivating the mindset needed to fully and freely engage in the creative process holistically, from knowledge and skill, to mind and heart.
- This means, you’ll be focusing on your experience of slowing down, and being in the moment with your art supplies, with each stroke, with how you’re feeling about your learning process.
- It’s more about the journey of creativity and not about the end output.
- This means perfectionism is not allowed here, and we will create a safe space for practicing and getting messy.
Does the cost of your workshops include supplies?
- Provide your own supplies: You will receive a PDF of the course workbook and practice sheets to print out for the class. You will also receive a supply list to shop for your own supplies (or use your own existing supplies).
- Purchase a kit that will be mailed to you: The kit includes everything you need, including the course workbook, and pens.
For in person workshops, all supplies are provided.
What's your Refund Policy?
For in person workshops, refunds are not available due to the nature of venue rentals and limited seats, however you may defer your ticket to a future workshop, or you may transfer your ticket to a friend. Email your request and reason for refund to justine @ itjustflows.com or you may use the contact form on this site.
For ALL workshops, if the workshop is cancelled by It Just Flows for any reason, including not reaching the minimum number of participants required to run it, you will have a choice of deferring your ticket to a future workshop, or receiving a full refund.
I really want to come but can't make the date. Will there be a replay available? How often do you run workshops?
- Technical workshops: For live in person or online workshops, there will be the option to upgrade to receive access to an online course self-study version of the workshop subject available for purchase. The online course format includes more detail and materials to support your ongoing practice.
- Expressive lettering workshops. We may record the workshop in its entirety for our own internal purposes of capturing the teaching segments, or reflection for improvement of the delivery of the experience. In order to provide full safety and confidentiality for participants to share freely in the live experience, there will not be a replay available. None of the participant dialogue will ever be shared in any way publicly or privately. We take confidentiality very seriously.
Frequency: We typically run workshops typically in October/N months, but may consider doing them more frequently based on interest/demand. So the best thing to do is to pop us a quick message DM on Instagram or from my site here to let us know what topics you’re most interested in. Then join our email community for the latest news on workshop release dates.
How long have you been teaching? What are your credentials?
Lettering expertise: I’ve been building my practice since I got my first pen when I was 8 years old. I started selling my handlettering work in high school. I am constantly investing in classes to increase my knowledge and practice. I also have a professional background in graphic design.
Teaching experience: I have 20 years of experience teaching and facilitating workshops in the corporate and non profit world. I have 9 years experience teaching lettering and art workshops specifically. I am constantly honing in on how to improve my workshop experiences, and continuing my education as a facilitator and coach.
Together I combine all of this and bottom line is that I’m skilled at creating transformative experiences to give you the confidence you need to get you started on your journey in a solid way, rather than wasting precious time and energy feeling discouraged or stuck about your progress.
I can’t teach you to be a master calligrapher in one class, so what I can do is to give you the mindset and confidence to engage and enjoy the process so that you’ll want to practice… because practice is the only way you’ll get really good! And if you’re just looking for something fun to do VS mastery, then I’ve got you covered there too!
Do you teach in person classes or online only? Where are you geographically located?
We currently do not offer on-demand pre-recorded videos. Let us know if you are interested in this option, and we will consider it if there is enough demand.
We are based in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada, where we teach in person workshops but have been known to travel to do workshops in other cities. Obviously this is currently on pause until further notice due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Do you teach private workshops or lessons?
Intro Sampler to Calligraphy Workshop
[Live, Real Time Class]
How to save your seat:
- Choose a date.
- Choose if you want all supplies snail mailed to you (must be ordered 14 days before workshop date). Or you may choose to use your own supplies (you will be emailed a materials list + PDF of the workbook). In person workshops include all supplies.
- If you would like to reset the options, REFRESH the page, or hit CLEAR on the bottom right, just after the Options, before the “Add to Cart” button.
- Add the number of tickets you wish to purchase to your cart.
- Proceed to checkout.