Minding the Messy Middle Conversation Circle:
Holding Safe Space to
Address Anti-Asian Hate
Online Live, Real Time Session
For racialized people with lived experience
With the rise of anti-asian hate, are you:
- Feeling unsure what to do with uncomfortable emotions like anxiety, fear, sadness, grief, or anger?
- Struggling with helplessness, frozen with a sense of lack of control?
- Frustrated and hard on yourself because you wish you could speak up more, as a bystander or target of racism?
- Grappling with your racial identity and the weight of Asian stereotypes?
You are not alone.
Recent times are a lot to process. If you are grappling with how to make sense of life as an Asian in this emerging reality, but:
- You don’t know where to begin…
- You don’t know how to do it without toxic positivity bypassing…
- You have been trying to process, but you’re spiralling into an exhausting valley of difficult emotions…
- You don’t know where you can process and share safely, because no one seems to want to talk right now…
Gather in real-time for this highly interactive, guided journey to compassionately and safely explore these challenging times.
We are making room to offer this supportive space for you, the Asian/Pacific Islander/South Asian community to reflect and be present in the messy middle together in solidarity, to create meaningful connections — to ground yourself, to connect with others, and consider our responses in our emerging world.
I have some questions…
If you’re feel drawn or curious to join us, but a little unsure about showing up and participating in an event like this, it’s normal to feel a little nervous. Or maybe you have a more practical question. We’re here to address your concerns.
What can I expect from these creative conversation circles?
You can expect a guided journey, connecting through:
- creative reflection/expressive exercises
- mindfulness/visualization exercises
- facilitated journalling
- curated conversation prompts
There will be ample time to reflect on your own, but also to connect with and glean from the group’s collective experience and wisdom. You will have opportunity to share with others in small groups, but it isn’t mandatory if you’re in more of a contemplative listening mood.
Do I have to share verbally? Will I be called on to speak?
There will be multiple ways that you will be invited to choose how you can engage your participation. This means you share at a level that you decide, when you feel ready or feel compelled to speak, with or without the camera on.
We do not support “peer pressure vulnerability”. Sharing is always optional and you reserve the right and have full permission to pass.
Come as you are, your full self. And if that means you’re in a more contemplative listening mood, that is totally okay.
If something comes up for you that you prefer not to share with the whole group or in your small group, but you would still like to have a 1:1 conversation about it, you can always reach out for a conversation in a private chat, or at the end of the session where there will be extra space to connect.
Do I have to have the camera on?
That being said, we invite you to consider keeping your camera on if you are feeling up for it, as studies have been shown that can have an effect on the sense of engagement, connection, and community in the virtual space, both on your end and on ours as we facilitate.
If it’s because you have pets, partners, or kids running around, know that we don’t view them as unwelcome distractions. Just keep your microphone on mute.
What if I don't identify as artistic or creative?
For Creative Expression Workshops, we will engage in creative reflective practices equipping you with tools you can walk away with for self awareness, self discovery, and empowerment.
These include options such as writing, drawing, speaking, meditating, visualizing… Multiple options and levels will always be provided, and you get to decide what is the most supportive way for you to engage.
No prior experience is necessary by any means.
We believe every human being is creative. So our teaching approach is grounded in giving you on a strong foundation cultivating the mindset needed to fully and freely engage in the creative process holistically, from knowledge and skill, to mind and heart.
- This means, you’ll be focusing on your experiences and meditating on the meaning, themes, and connections.
- It’s more about the journey of creativity and not about the end output.
- This means perfectionism is not allowed here, and we will create a safe space for practicing and processing and getting messy.
Does the cost of your workshops include supplies?
For in person workshops, all supplies are provided.
Which class do I start with? Is this the right one for me? Will this teach me "how to" write calligraphy?
EXPRESSIVE LETTERING WORKSHOPS are more about creative exploration and using lettering as a tool for mindfulness, such as a supplement for your journaling practices, gratitude, vision boards, etc.
In these spaces, we do not spend any time on the technical aspects of how to write calligraphy.
If you would like to learn the TECHNIQUE of calligraphy, you can find out about our technical how-to workshops here>>.
Who is facilitating this session? What are your credentials?
With 20 years of experience in leadership and spiritual development, adult education, and communications, Justine crafts talks and facilitates workshop experiences that are supportive, engaging, and encouraging.
Her passion and skill is to create transformative experiences that empower people with practical tools.
She takes her role of creating safe and welcome space for all seriously, rooted in her experiences of exclusion growing up, making her an advocate of creating belonging.
We also collaborate with GUEST FACILITATORS who are experts in their respective fields. You can read their bios on the event registration page.
What's your Refund Policy?
For in person workshops, refunds are not available due to the nature of venue rentals and limited seats, however you may defer your ticket to a future workshop, (you will receive a unique credit that you can use for anything in the online shop). Or, you may transfer your ticket to a friend. Email your transfer request to justine @ itjustflows.com or you may use the contact form on this site.
For ALL workshops, if the workshop is cancelled by It Just Flows for any reason, including not reaching the minimum number of participants required to run it, you will have a choice of deferring your ticket to a future workshop, or receiving a full refund.
Will there be a replay available?
- Reflective and Expressive Lettering workshops will not be recorded in order to provide full safety and confidentiality for participants to share freely in the live experience. The main magic of these sessions is the connections that form with live interaction in community. So we encourage you to sign up, block off the time, make a date with yourself, and add it to your calendar.
- We may or may not decide to record for our own internal reflective purposes of capturing the teaching segments. We will always check in with the group at the beginning. Either way, there will not be a replay available. None of the participant dialogue will ever be shared in any way publicly or privately. We take confidentiality very seriously.
I really want to come but can't make the date. How often do you run your workshops?
Do you teach in person classes or online only? Where are you geographically located?
We currently do not offer on-demand pre-recorded videos. Let us know if you are interested in this option, and we will consider it if there is enough demand.
We are based in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada, where we teach in person workshops but have been known to travel to do workshops in other cities. Obviously this is currently on pause until further notice due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Do you teach private workshops or lessons?
Save Your Seat at the Table
It’s important to us that we make this space accessible to anyone who needs it, regardless of whether they can contribute or not. Therefore, tickets to access this pilot live event is complimentary, but we ask you to reserve your ticket due to the limited number of seats to keep the space intimate.
If you have the means to support this event, there will be an opportunity at the end of the session to make a contribution through a “pay what you value / what you can” link based on the value you felt you received and what you can afford. Every contribution allows us to continue creating more events like these.
➡Sunday, APRIL 25, 2-4pmPDT / 5-7pm EDT
➡Sunday, MAY 30, 2-4pmPDT / 5-7pm EDT
We truly believe your presence matters, and your voice is needed at the table as we co-create the conversation and experience. Your absence is also felt.
If you must cancel, we ask you to give us the courtesy of 48 hours of notice, so that we may offer your seat to those on the wait list.